Saturday, January 9, 2010

Joy

Many times I've talked to, witnessed to and consoled other women. Having lost a child, I know what to say to a mother who has just lost a piece of her heart. Having been sexually attacked as a child, I know what to say to a child who has been molested. Being a survivor of cancer, I know what to say to anyone facing that killer. Having lost a parent, I know what to say to one who has lost a dear mother or father.

Often in such situations I'm told, "Oh, I'm not strong like you." Or, "I just don't have your strength."

Allow me to tell you my secret:

Nehimiah 8:10 -- The joy of the Lord is my strength.

In my worst pain, I felt I would never be the "happy me" again. My worst pain changed who I was. It stole my joy. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to be a sad, tragic figure. I didn't want to be unhappy. I didn't want to feel so broken. I searched within myself and found no answer.

During this time I talked to Him about it continually. I knew there was a "Him" answer. Then I finally asked Him to let His Joy flow through me. I knew He would do this. I didn't have a clue what it would feel like. I didn't have a clue how or even if it would change me. I just knew I had no way of being happy within myself.

I prayed, "Just put Your Joy where mine used to be, Lord." And He did! Even as I asked, a small smile appeared on my face. In my darkest hour, He gave me joy. Heavenly Joy. Joy from above. At this point, I knew nothing could take this Joy from me. It was rooted in Heaven and growing in me, another facet of Him, so generously given.

That's when He began to grow strength in me. It wasn't then and is not now my strength. It's His Strength. I can be weak. I don't have to do anything to make myself strong. I don't have to try to find strength somewhere. I just let His Joy and Strength flow through me.

Won't you join me in Joy?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have the book are you going to start an online study?

Unknown said...

thank you for reminding me that the JOY of the LORD is my STRENGTH!! sue perry, calif